SUMMARY: what i learned this week, June 30-July 4
Things I learned this week…
1. Signing up for provincial press releases REALLY helps for generating story ideas!
2. Reading newspapers thoroughly, once again, is also a pretty good contributor to story ideas.
3. I probably should have brought some souvenir back for my editor / co-workers, darn. I’ll remember that for next time.
4. Being gone for a week doesn’t change the fact that when you come back and make phone calls, people STILL aren’t ever in their offices or homes.
5. It’s not fun reading the newspaper when I haven’t written any stories for that issue.
6. A repeat but — getting recognition or praise for an article you’ve written is really rewarding.
7. Keep your eyes open and be alert when copyediting because I definitely found some hardcore errors that got fixed before the paper went to press.
8. I still love some what early day Thursday and early day Friday (even though as I write this it is Friday and I’m still in the office but still, earlier than other days!)
9. People still don’t call you back.
10. It really is a fabulous feeling knowing that you’ve got story ideas for next week’s paper!
More next week…